Oculus E3 2016 Booth Size Revealed
This year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3 2016), due to be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 14th/16th, 2016, is now quickly approaching our horizon.
Over the last year, things have started rolling for the VR space, and it seems to be posturing up in good form for the mainstream market. Oculus, a company founded by a 19-year-old Palmer Luckey, which was then bought out by Facebook for 2 billion dollars in 2014, was arguably pivotal in the return of the VR revolution. However, so far it has been off to a bit of a shaky start, mainly due to delays in getting their product to market.
Nevertheless, things do appear to be on the up for Oculus, as they have recently revealed their footprint on the show floor of E3 – the gaming industries biggest convention – and it seems to have grown into a bit of a giant since its last appearance.
Historically, Some of Oculus’ most notable announcements have come from the annual E3 Expo. Including last year’s big revelation, when they revealed, Touch, their dual, handheld motion controllers, built for use with their HMD’s.
Shown below is the size of the E3 2016 Oculus booth. Beneath which is last years footprint for comparison. As shown in the image, the footprint has seemingly doubled in size.
Oculus Booth, E3 2016
Oculus Booth, E3 2015 (comparison)
(images courtesy of Reddit user Bekris)
Some of the things that we could be expecting to see from Oculus this year could be an announcement of the price and release date of their Touch controllers. And, presumably, more about the 100 game titles that Palmer Luckey mentioned would be with us by the end of 2016.
Some interesting facts about E3 and Oculus.
- E3 first launched in L.A on May 11th-13th, 1995, and had an attendance of 50,000.
- Attendance dropped significantly when the event was moved to Santa Monica, bottoming out at 5,000 attendees, and 33 exhibitors in 2007 and 2008. The following year it was moved back to the LA Conference Centre.
- Oculus was first discussed at E3 in 2012, in this interview with John Carmack, in which he discusses his early involvement with the “home brew, hacker style kit.”
- The highest number of attendees at an E3 event was 70,000, a threshold that has been reached twice since the launch of the convention. First at the 1998 event in L.A, and again in 2005 at the same location.
- When held at the LA Conference center, there is an average of 400/450 exhibitors at the event.
- The Oculus Rift was officially nominated for Best Hardware of E3 2013.
- In 2015, E3 had 50,000 attendees for the first time in a decade.
- In 2013, Oculus demoed their prototype for a 1080p HD iteration of the Rift and showcased it with an experience made in Unreal Engine 4 by Epic Games.
VRRelated is an online portal that brings focus to all aspects of the VR market and aims to publish and deliver all things Virtual Reality Related. From VRRelated you can expect to discover News articles, Video Presentations, opinion pieces and more.